About Token Naturals
Token Naturals is an Edmonton-based independent cannabis company, creating products for companies and consumers. With a Standard Processing licence from Health Canada, Token’s central Edmonton facility focuses on extract and derivative products. We serve B2B clients with white label and contract manufacturing, and have our own consumer lines in the cannabis beverage space.
Our company is powered by people. We take a values-forward approach and our community spirit is high. Ours is a startup environment, which means that we each often wear many hats to meet the company goals; the job will not be siloed nor rigid. We offer a flexible, remote-heavy work environment and a fun and friendly team compiled of individuals from all backgrounds and demographics. We’re proud to be an organization that champions diversity. Token is minority-led and majority owned by shareholders who identify as visible minorities and/or women.
The Manufacturing Manager – reports to the CEO and collaborates directly with the Responsible Person in Charge, Facility Team and Project Manager.
Qualified candidates must be skilled at working independently and possess exceptional production and manufacturing skills. This position plays an integral part in the operation of a Token’s new cannabis processing facility in a start-up environment and as such is a unique opportunity to build a manufacturing operation facility and team from the ground up. Token has begun trial batch production of cannabis products for its licensing requirements and will begin production for the recreational cannabis market within the next two months. A range of extracted and derivative products will be produced and bottled within the facility.
As the Manufacturing Manager, you are be responsible for the planning, directing and execution of all manufacturing activities within the primary and secondary production and processing areas. This will include assisting with Product Development and providing the input from a manufacturing perspective for the ongoing regulatory licensing requirements. The position requires a focus on scheduling and supervising the manufacturing team, creating detailed plans that meet the objectives of Token, while practicing LEAN and continuous quality improvement. Meeting order schedules and productivity targets while reporting accurate results regularly requires a disciplined leader. This position requires a leader that is highly motivated, energetic and capable of consistently working in a very fast-paced industry with the management experience to build and develop the manufacturing team. Over the next few months, the Manufacturing Manager will be responsible for selecting their team, setting production goals and hitting KPI’s.
The Manufacturing Manager will work out of the facility in central Edmonton. This is a full-time, permanent position. There is opportunity for flexible working hours, within the constraints of the production schedule.
Duties and Responsibilities
Responsible for all production operations and production team, including the safety, production, quality, and performance of the department. The manufacturing team is responsible for preparing equipment and plant materials for extraction, white labelling, operating production equipment, handling production solvents, cleaning and maintenance of lab and production equipment, and maintaining meticulous records of product and inventory within the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system.
- Implement and manage the cannabis specific ERP system. Manage the ERP system with the manufacturing specialists and ensure continued maintenance of the system
- Record all pertinent details related to production processes using the ERP system
- Ensure manufacturing and production guidelines are strictly adhered to for compliance
- Train and ensure Health Canada processes are understood by all members of the team
- Develop, implement, and maintain production tracking and continuously improve processes and procedures by fostering and operating in a continuous improvement environment
- Provide scheduling, forecasting changes and demand forecasts
- Eventually Manage 2-6 direct reports: Manufacturing Specialists
- Provide leadership, direction, coaching and development to the production team. Review each employee for performance regularly and provide ongoing feedback to create high performance teams
- Create a working environment within the production team that enhances employee performance and retention and aligns with organizational values
- Provide orientation and training to ensure an effective and efficient team
- Maintain production records for CQI and job costing analysis to monitor, track and control key metrics; regularly report findings to management
- Create, present, and manage plans vs. actual results as well as efficiencies
- Identify deficiencies or bottlenecks in the extraction/production processes and determine strategies to correct them
- Implement and manage facility safety programs based on best management practices and Health Canada/Good Manufacturing Practice requirements
- Ensure that a safe working environment is always maintained by enforcing company standards and completing regular inspections of department
- Demonstrate and demand a strong understanding of Health and Safety and instill a sense of urgency around compliance
- Work closely with Human Resources for all hiring, training/development, coaching, recognition, health & safety requirements, employee relation/disciplinary issues, and all other people related matters
- Perform other job duties as assigned
- Minimum of 5 years manufacturing/production leadership and management experience, with product development.
- College Diploma or Bachelors’ degree in related Chemistry, Food Science, Engineering, Operations Management, Processing and Instrumentation, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Knowledge of Standard Operating Procedures, Good Manufacturing Practice, and the Cannabis Act is essential
- Lean Manufacturing/Total Quality Management/Continuous Quality Improvement/Statistical Process Controls (or similar) considered an asset
- Hands on laboratory and experience preferred
- Experience in technical manufacturing environment, and Product Development
- Proven ability to manage, encourage, and adopt effective communication practices
- Ability to act as a strong leader and effectively integrate into fast-paced and high-pressure teams with a strong sense of urgency to meet tight deadlines
- Experience with an MRP/ERP
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Able to supply acceptable Criminal Record check
- Able to support overtime and weekend work at short notice
- Experience performing tests, analyzing experimental data and documenting results
- Experience in Good Laboratory Practice, ISO 9001 or ISO 17025 environment considered an asset
- Experience in manufacturing of pharmaceuticals, cannabis and/or precursors considered an asset
We provide accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process. Applicants must be legally entitled to work according to the relevant provincial / territorial legislation and regulations.
To apply: Applicants should send a resume and introductory cover letter to email@example.com